Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Big Arrival!



We have landed!! The plane ride from Rapid City to Chicago went by pretty quickly and we were able to go grab some authentic Chicago Deep Dish Style Pizza at the Airport before getting on our flight to London. On the flight over from Chicago it seemed to drag on forever! (I did get to watch The Big Bang Theory, so that was a plus!) The food on the flight was not impressive, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with. After they turned out the lights everyone seemed to be sleeping or trying to but it was hard to get comfortable. I dozed off for a little while a couple times but was awoken by either someone moving, a painful kink in my neck, or by the gentle shake of turbulence. The sun finally came up and we were only an hour away from landing in London, a DELICIOUS breakfast, consisting of a croissant/roll thing with some butter and jelly and a small bowl of fruit, with a small cup of coffee that was supposed to awaken me but failed... We landed and claimed our bags and went through customs fairly quickly, where we were met by the lovely ISA group that was extremely helpful! We waited for the Coach to take us to Windsor Castle and when it arrived our day was off! On the drive over there, I couldn't help but stare out the window and take in London, all of the houses so close together, driving on the opposite of the road that I am used to. I don't know if it really hit me of where I was until I saw Windsor Castle sitting off in the distance looking so impressive! We got off the Coach and went toward the Castle and my anticipation grew because of this site!

Windsor Castle is the official home of the Queen, she spends her weekends here. The outside was spectacular to look at but the inside which we couldn’t take pictures of was even more so. There were rooms inside that were literally breathtaking, just walking through and experiencing so much history was an experience of a lifetime!


 
We made it time to also see the changing of the Guard, which is a commonly known ritual.
 
Another view of Windsor from the inside.


 
My very own picture with the guard! :)
 



 
After our tour of Windsor we took a short walk to Eton College and a private school for boys, ages 12-18, it is a very prestigious school and they all where suits to class and look very classy.
 
Overall our first day here was great but after the flight and the day I was super exhausted. The culture is so different here but you can definitely see the similarities. Hopefully I get over my sickness quickly so the rest of the trip is even more enjoyable! That's all for Day 1! 

No comments:

Post a Comment