Saturday, May 25, 2013

Whoops... How could I forget about the Tate Modern?

I seemed to have spaced an important visit on Thursday and let me tell you, it was INTERESTING! We were required to visit an art gallery during our two week adventure and Thursday after the legal walk Laura, Kayla, and I decided that we should go then and when we were trying to decided on which of the many places to go we finally decided that the Tate Modern would be a good choice. We navigated our way from the Royal Courts of Justice to Southwark, we followed the big orange light posts leading the way to the Tate Modern. Once inside it was kind of confusing and I am sure that confusion never left. Modern art is...weird, in my opinion, I had a really hard time looking at some of the art and understanding it. There is always supposed to be some deeper meaning and as I stared at some of the pieces I tried to look for deeper meaning but I really REALLY did not understand it. This piece for example, is called Trip Hammer, to me it looks like to giant thick metal slabs but no... This is art. I did not know that placing a slab of metal on top of another piece was art. I guess I look at things for what they are and that's it, but congratulations to the creator on getting this placed in an art gallery.
Richard Serra, 'Trip Hammer, 1988
The pure state of confusion I was in did not cease, as we toured more the confusion became greater and I am sure the look on my face was screaming it as well. We entered into a gallery that on the door read that things in this particular room may not be suitable for everyone and contained some adult graphic nature and let me tell you they were correct, I was kind of shocked at the animated movie and we will leave it at that...
After that I decided that modern art is not really my cup of tea and was ready to skedaddle right on out of there.



No comments:

Post a Comment